The Jewish Faith Needs Numbers Too.

About half of the U. S. Jewish people marry outside the faith.  Marrying outside the faith has been a controversial issue among Jews and part of the decline in Jewish numbers is attributed to this practice.

The Jewish faith traditionally has not been interested in conversions.  There was suspicion of outsiders and their motives.  Converting because one’s spouse is a Jew has not been an adequate reason.  There had to be a desire to worship the God of Israel.

While a noble and high minded position, this idealism has not served the faith well.  A professor and head of a Jewish seminary is calling for more on-the-ground recruiting instead of heads in the sky idealism.  He wants Rabbis who know of couples with one non Jewish partner to put on conversion pressure.

When the Professor writes of why people would want to convert, however, he seems to have his head in the clouds as much as Christian marketers do.  He writes that the busy and tumultuous lives people lead leave a great desire for order and a desire to walk the well-trod path of the centuries.

It seems to me if there were such desires, neither the Christian nor Jewish faiths would be in decline or suspension.  Instead, they would be teaming with young people.

There is some state of mind or personality characteristic that causes religion to appeal to some and not to others.  Perhaps there will be more competition between Jewish and Christian faiths trying to find converts in this pool.

12 Responses to The Jewish Faith Needs Numbers Too.

1. Avatar of Mac Mac says:

Why these cults wring their hands in confusion and frustration is totally beyond me.

“Really don’t know much at all about the Jewish faith, but I think everyone on this discussion board would agree than sin and shame based theology is not attracting new victims with the velocity it did in the past.”

You may have some confusion. One of the purposes of church is to provide the forgiveness of sins. In that, the transgression is spiritually removed. It seems you have it quite the opposite. Of course for those who harbor unrepentant sin and/or unforgiveness, and do not humble themselves, the situation can be totally frustrating. You have my sympathies.

Henry 12:19 You may have some confusion.

I think you are the one confused, One of the purposes of church is to provide forgiveness of sins. The purpose of the church is to create sin. Without the church people may behave the same as church people, good or bad, but the church is there to blackmail people into thinking it has a monopoly on writing off the bad behavior. The church is a clever organization.

and do not humble themselves
      Henry you are part of a list of “Christian” posters here who display anything but humbleness in your total certainty. Unless you mean humbling your self before your idea of God and what he wants, starting to sound like Islam, total submission to Almighty God.
      Certainly when contemplating the vastness of the universe and all the amazing things in it I am humble and thankful to be a part of it, but being humble does not mean the the astonishing arrogance of believing that I am a special part of a special creation. I would love to know the answer, one of the few things I am certain about is that your and your fellow travelers do not have them.

entech, the authority on arrogance, is now lecturing us on being humble. Apparently, he has all the answers.

Whatever you say, Henry. As usual derision is your answer to everything.
          I am seeking answers and asking questions you seem to think you have the answers and so everyone else is wrong by definition. Do you actually know the meaning of arrogance and humility? It seems you equate being humble to having perfect knowledge of something that is unknown one of many interpretations of the universe, to me this is arrogance, why are all the others wrong and you right? If there is a creator, a supreme being, why i it that you can say it is your 3 part entity rather than the unique and indivisible God of Abraham from which you (claim to) derive your beliefs.?

Or Brahman, Allah even Mazda.

entech:“Do you actually know the meaning of arrogance and humility?”

Teach me, master entech.

entech:“…why are all the others wrong and you right?”

Why should I have to be a decider? You apparently like being a decider. Why would I hope for what I already have?

Just asking, the words seem to have different meanings for you depending on to whom they are applied.
            I do not know enough to teach anyone anything, even the subjects I am am qualified in have advanced so much that I am out of date.

Why would I hope for what I already have? You seem to proclaim perfect knowledge of all of creation; Arrogant but not Humble. Bit like an old English expression “strong and neat but not gaudy, like shinola on a stick”