“That Man’s God is not My God.”

I’m sure most people don’t think they are extreme in their application of their faith.  It’s just that some are blinded by the power of the belief their god is the only one.

When this mental block moves from their heads into government, discrimination begins.  This appears to be playing out in Beebe, Arkansas.

A couple want to start a Pagan church.  They have a building located in a commercially zoned area.  So far, the City has turned them down using a zoning argument.  One of the City Council members said, “Their God is not my God.”

Now, zoning laws in general are a complex matter and zoning for churches is even more so.  Mostly, zoning is about affecting neighbors.  A church in a neighborhood of homes can cause problems.  A big church in a shopping mall the same.  But, to turn down a tiny church when it conforms to uses in a commercially zoned area is very suspicious.

There was a time when churches refused to be subject to zoning.  That has changed though mostly they are giving a lot of slack.

The Pagan religion, there are many forms, predates Christianity.  I have never understood why Pagans seem to be disliked more than Jews, though Jews put up with lots of discrimination.

There is no news about the Pagan church in the Beebe paper today.  There is only a little story that the City Council will hold a special meeting because, “Something has come up.”

P. S. A special thanks to the folks that came to the reception last night for us.  And, thanks to Senator Heitkamp for the beautiful bouquet.

11 Responses to “That Man’s God is not My God.”

1. Candyman says:

“There is a way which seems right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Proverbs 12:15

You’re absolutely right, I once was blinded by the god of this world… “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” 2 Cor. 4:4

do you want to see? here’s how…”When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

THese benefits are totally exclusive!…”Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
    But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. John 1:12

here’s how…”If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9

“today, right now, I stand at the door of your heart, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”Rev. 3:20

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” Isa 1:18

Candyman 3:24 So, should the Mayor of Bebee, Arkansas, stop the Pagans from having a place to worship?

Candyman 3:24 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though you sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though the be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isa 1:18

What beautiful writing is Isa 1:18. My problem is this, what is sin? It’s been changing since the days of the Bible. It’s changing as we speak.

The culture changes, religion follows like a puppy dog. We all should understand that religion is not something separate from the culture, it is a reflection of the culture. If you had been born in India, you would be a Hindu (or Muslim or Christian depending on where you grew up).

Nevertheless, I like your post. It is better than when you ask me questions I don’t understand.

• Formerly Fargo Bob says:

I don’t understand the point of offering a list of quotations from the Bible, and it’s something I’m just likely to ignore. If Candyman has an opinion to voice, let’s hear it and discuss it. What Candyman has instead offered is just another list of “My God’s the right God, so there.”

• Candyman says:

as opposed to what? my point being their is a standard for truth that is not shared in the current mainline denomintions. You can not live your life anyway you want and experience peace of mind in this life. Truth is not subjective.

2. Avatar of Mac Mac says:

I am constantly amused by the fact those most obsessed with religious freedom tend to be the least tolerant of any belief system other than their own.

• Candyman says:

what other choices has Jesus given us Mac? He was not ambigius one bit about his teachings. He said, ” I am the Way, Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except by me” John 14:6 Was he being a liar? a highly delusional lunatic? or could he be the Lord of creation? what other choices has He given us?

3. Adam Heckathorn says:

Sorry I missed the reception. I appreciate among other things the discussions here.