Religious Liberals Need to Role Out Their Version of Sin, Climate Change.

We know from history what is considered sin during one period of time is ignored during the next.  We also know that using religion as the bases for demonizing some group or activity has political catche.

So, the idea has been pitched liberals could make progress in passing anti pollution legislation and electing environmently friendly candidates by labeling pollution a sin. They could do this by referring to the Bible.

There is a lot of scripture that can be interpreted as being pro environment.  So many verses could be quoted here I would run out of space.

Now, you need not quote for me all the passages which say man is here to use up whatever is available–to dominate all the other creatures of the earth.  We have all heard these.

If the god wanted humans to be good stewards of all he supposedly gave them, I can’t imagine a more sinful behavior than causing climate change.  The many ways we contribute, with our possessions that pollute the atmosphere, should cause every Christian to be on his/her knees asking forgiveness.

If this were the message of environmentalists, along the the scripture to illustrate its accuracy, it seems like it would make an impact.  The question is whether there are active Christians who would make the argument and whether nonChristians could or would do it.

One thing we know is that sin sells some ideas.  Whether we will ever see it in environmental politics remains to be seen.

29 Responses to Religious Liberals Need to Role Out Their Version of Sin, Climate Change.

“I can’t imagine a more sinful behavior than causing climate change.”

Climate change is not about the environment anymore that Obamacare is about health. Climate change is about carbon tax. The government needs your money more than you do. Obamacare is a power and money grab by the USGov and the insurance industry that wrote the bill. Jon, you are so devoutly religious that you can’t see real world issues.

2. Carr says:

The Bible thumpers that I live with in Texas truly believe that Jesus Christ is a capitalist. Therefore, being good stewards of Earth is a money losing proposition. The Christians that scream the loudest trying to dictate morals on those not quite worthy will also scream to keep the big bad evil government out of their lives. Oh how I love the Tea Party, no regulation on large corporations. They are trustworthy to regulate themselves. But, let’s micro manage the not so worthy on the most intimate details of their lives. Evangelicals being environmentalists? Don’t think that will happen, Jon!

Carr 3:29 “The Bible thumpers that I live with in Texas truly believe that Jesus Christ is a capitalist.”

As you can see, Jesus Christ is a capitalist here in ND as well. I have to admit it will be hard to make pollution regarded as a sin. Jesus loves polluters. Jesus thought being a good steward of the land was farming the hell out it. I’ve heard all of that.

Oh, there’s more. The reason Native Americans are so poor is that God is punishing them for not using enough fertilizer, herbicides and irrigation on their land.

3. Carr says:

Thank you Michael Ross for making my point! You made your post as I was writing mine!

It is not happening, it is blasphemy to suggest that it is. A perfect creator who created a perfect world would not let perfection be spoiled by his perfect creation humanity.

However as so many tell us that man is imperfect and given to sin, it naturally follows that polluting an otherwise perfect world is a sin committed by imperfect, sinful man. All those Christian Capitalists must really hate God to treat the world he made for them like that.

Earthquakes, volcanoes etc. can manage without our help.

Forty years ago +/-, there was a cartoon with a beautiful lady with a flower wreath in her hair. Her dress was torn, her hair was messed up, and in general, looked disheveled. She was standing in the edge of the woods, and a man was running away with his pants half down and a scared look in his eyes, Chasing behind him was a bear, a fox, a wolf, and other small animals, with eagles attacking. The caption said; “It’s not nice to fool with Mother Nature.” There is a metaphor in that.

6. H.P.Drifter says:

Good news is nature is fighting back, the earth has cleaned itself up many times before for various reasons. The bad news none of us will be here to see it. The short minded Christians, as always screw up a perfect deal. The small minded Christians will get there short term gains, though they won’t be able to keep them. The Christians with any brains are not doing anything to stop their renegade brothers in the Church. Some Churches are so stupid, they don’t even have an opinion on the matter.

Carr

Jon’s comment on Indians was in poor taste, from a Christian stand point it probably does have some merit. (he does mean well though) Personally I would like to know how come the BIA is happy the Indians can built Casinos on their property, but can not get financing to built anything else, we now have over 500 Indian Casinos nation wide, they even have their own internet website. Though every time I have visited an Indian Casino (for dinner) I have not seen an Indian working in the Casino (now I admit I have been to very few Indian casinos over the years, or any other casinos for that matter, other than to sample the cooking) don’t gamble, unless the money actually goes to Schools or Natural Resources.

H.P.D

HPV:“Personally I would like to know how come the BIA is happy the Indians can built Casinos on their property, but can not get financing to built anything else, we now have over 500 Indian Casinos nation wide, they even have their own internet website.”

Money. Investors like putting money into enterprises they can get a return on. A burnt out shell of a residence or an industry where workers can not be found are not items that produce return.

In Mehnomen, MN, it looks to me like nearly all the employees are Native Americans. I haven’t been there for several years.

• H.P.Drifter says:

You sound a little prejudice there Henroid. (you good christian you) Money could bring the reservation’s many different industries besides gambling and have outsiders work there, with the Indians getting a piece of the action and the business receiving tax breaks for just being there. A lot of States and counties do the same thing (think credit cards in South Dakota) why just gambling? After all it guys like you that came with bible and said lets close our eyes and pray and when the Indians opened there eyes, they had the bible and you fellows had the land.

H.P.D

HPV, the race card so soon? Your accusation of me clearly point to you not knowing what you are talking about. You are a master race baiter.

HPV:“Money could bring the reservation’s many different industries besides gambling and have outsiders work there, with the Indians getting a piece of the action and the business receiving tax breaks for just being there.”

It is ironic, one of the contemplated industries you are talking about is an oil refinery that can be built on the rez because the environmental regulations can be circumvented. This concept flies in the face of the handwringing of this thread.

• Jinx says:

I have long supported the belief that Tribal councils need to take the casino profits and invest in and build business opportunities on their reservations….. Industry, computer sevices, etc. I doubt the casino money will be their forever.

Jinx:”“I doubt the casino money will be their forever.”

If not theirs, then whose?

Jinx:“I have long supported the belief that Tribal councils need to take the casino profits and invest in and build business opportunities on their reservations…..”

One of the local entities objected when the Feds wanted to do an audit of the practice of the leaders taking the earnings in grocery bags and distributing to their family descendants. Their objection while the feds were in town consisted of many of them getting in their vehicle and sticking their long rifle barrels out the window while they were cruising around. The feds backed off. Problem solved.

I disagree with that approach.

Jon:“If the god wanted humans to be good stewards of all he supposedly gave them, I can’t imagine a more sinful behavior than causing climate change. The many ways we contribute, with our possessions that pollute the atmosphere, should cause every Christian to be on his/her knees asking forgiveness.”

Climate change happens without man’s dominion over the earth. When you figure out how we can regulate the radiation variation from the sun, then we can properly handle climate change. That would be a good atheist stewardship project.

Henry 3:50 “Climate change happens without man’s dominion over the earth.”

I’m just more conservative than you. I believe in curtailing our impact on the environment when there is any question about pollution’s affect on the long term viability of the earth. It’s not a political issue to me, just good Biblical stewardship.

8. H.P.Drifter says:

Good imagination Henroid, we are talking about helping people and you throw in the race card baiting accusation. You a member of the majority want to thrown the race card BS. I just wanted to know, if you could make some suggestions as to get this people out of poverty and into the mainstream. Not a lecture on a very bad idea, then through the stick to the atheists a situation you Christians got us to in the first place. Get Real

You still do not know what you are talking about.

HPV:“I just wanted to know, if you could make some suggestions as to get this people out of poverty and into the mainstream.”

Yes, I can. Stop giving them special treatment. They will then mainstream quite nicely.

Or starve and then they will no longer be a concern. But a good, real and true, Christian would never let this happen???
        But whoever has the world’s goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?
        1 John 3:17.

“Enable” has a dark side, and a light side.

10. Wolfy32 says:

I think the issue is we know as much about weather as we do about the universe… There’s been statements made that the gravitational pull of the closesest galaxies could affect our solar system and that in turn could affect our weather.

The sun’s stages and cycles / seasons could affect our weather…

We’ve had global scientifically recorded weather for what? maybe 200 years? I agree a lot more research needs to be done, and I agree that man is going to have an impact. As much as we’d like to deny that, I believe it’s just practical to say all our manufacturing, cars, etc, and release of carbon is going to have an impact.

That said, we don’t have a measured capability of the earth to biologically process all of our waste.. We don’t know if today’s weather changes and weather patterns are a “seasonal” part of the earth. For all we know, there’s weather patterns that last thousands of years. As it appears that everything may have “seasons” it may be simply that the earth is going through a different cycle either ending one cycle or starting a new one.

Or is there other powers at work? I don’t know. I watched an unexplained mysteries show last night… Sri Lanka had “red rain” like blood. Analysis of the water that rained in the monsoon season showed some type of replicating cell in the water. It couldn’t be identified as an algae but the cells had no dna. Analysis of meteiorites that fell nearby contained the same cells deep inside the rocks. For all we know alien intervention is happening. From secretly intentionally melting the polar ice caps to modifying our environment. Who knows. Maybe the earth is just one giant laboratory to find some alien cure to a disease.

Similar to how we grow bacteria and viruses to study them and find solutions. Maybe we’re used as incubators to find a vaccine for an alien disease. The possibilities are endless.. It’s simply convenient to tell us we screwed up and doomed ourselves with sin.

I do believe humans have a major impact on weather. I also, believe there’s more to the weather patterns than human intervention.