Christianity is a Religion of the Diaspora.

Diaspora refers to the scattering of language, culture and religion which was formerly identified with one geographical spot. Christianianity started in one location and scattered  across the globe.

A one-god religion came out of somewhere in Canaan. The Romans arrived and the rural Jews wanted them gone.  There was a rural preacher who wanted the Jewish Laws followed and who believed the end of the world would come any day.

If the beliefs of this illiterate man, Jesus of Nazarath, had not been altered to match the changing cultural norms of wherever it spread, we would know little about Christianity today.  His preference to keep “The Law” was ignored and his beliefs revised to adjust to different cultures.  Today’s Christians believe something different than he did.

If we are to believe the Bible, Paul made the changes.  The changes so angered those of the original location, Paul was required to apologize.  Jesus’ brother, James, demanded Paul be cleansed of his false portrayals of Jesus’ faith.

The clever writing of Paul, first to the Jewish diaspora and later the Christian, made the apologies and cleansing he agreed to for altering the faith meaningless.  The oral expressions of illiterate Jesus/James in their original small area were no match for written and recopied letters aimed at the diaspora.

Today, the diaspora claims to follow the faith of its original location.  In reality, it has been changed to match different cultures and changing times.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazarath.  Reza Aslan

38 Responses to Christianity is a Religion of the Diaspora.

And yet can still claim Semper Idem.
    Hebrews 13:8 ? well maybe :?:

• H.P.Drifter says:

Good luck on the Golf Course

One has to have some fun

H.P.D

There is something to be said about the sound of silence.

2. H.P.Drifter says:

Diaspora to scatter, yes “Christianity” did scatter but in different forms and reforms and rewrites. Semper Idem that Christ’s message was immutable just doesn’t hold up “What’s up” How come so many for so long have been able to morph the words “without change” into many different things. Language alone can’t do this alone. Neither can culture do that alone. Could it be man himself had something to do the manufacturing the most popular and fantastic fairy tale in history.
    Only if Walt Disney would have been there instead of Paul, who knows we all might be living happily ever after.

H.P.D.

3. Catholic Dad says:

If the beliefs of this illiterate man, Jesus of Nazarath –

Jon,

I do not think there is factual basis for the statement above. You can only ASSUME. I can give you biblical reference Luke 4:16-17. If you base your assumption on it was sign of the times, or he didn’t write anything, than I could also give you Socrates.

As far as the bible being fictitious – I think the following from Tacitus from his Annuals dated 64 A.D. – note Tacitus was not a friend of the church

“Hence to suppress the rumor, he falsely charged with the guilt, and punished Christians, who were hated for their enormities. Christus, the founder of the name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius: but the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their center and become popular. (Annals, 15:44)”

Which one may easily conclude the Gospels to be historical reliable.

Peace my Brothers!

C. Dad 3:50 “I do not think there is a factual basis for the above statement.”

I hope you do not consider, either, all the quotes attributed to Jesus as factual. Those who wrote them were not present.

That there was no one who wrote about Jesus alive and present when and where Jesus lived leaves everything about him without absolute certainty. As to whether he was literate, we have a little evidence and from it we can draw likely conclusions. It is believed something between 10 and 15% of the population was literate, at least to some degree. Of those, some perhaps could read but not write. Of those, most were known to be in urban areas. Of those in urban areas, those who were literate were from the wealthy families. Surviving writing refer to all of these, so it represents at least some evidence. What is portrayed in the Bible about Jesus is that he was not in any of the categories above.

It is certainly everyone’s right to believe whatever they wish. I choose to follow the evidence.

Jon:“I choose to follow the evidence.”

Me, too. I’ll use the Bible, considered a primary source, and thus evidence.

• Michael Ross says:

CD, Jon has a condescending attitude to those who lack the formal education that he has. Goat herders, illiterate, ignorant, and unenlightened. That is what you and I are. But be of good cheer, we are in Good company with the glorious Son of God. Jon could not have paid anyone a higher compliment.

CD. There are many references to the historical Jesus and the crucifixion. There are many references to the existence of the Jesus Movement which evolved into Christianity. It would be very difficult to sustain a case against the history, there are some that claim it was all myth, there are many more that reject this view.
      The problem lies in moving from history in general to specific events. Raising the dead, being raised from the dead don’t have external references. The much quoted Flavius Josephus manages only a few words out of 20 volumes, word that appear to textual critics to be contrived and inserted, if he was convinced of the resurrection as is claimed, if there were proof positive, why did he not rush to join, I would.

4. H.P.Drifter says:

Okay guys lets get at the root of what is going on here. We have Catholics groups just south of our borders that does not resemble in any way shape or form the Catholics of Europe or US or (they don’t match either in practice or dogma) (In Russia there are no seats everyone stands for two hours, only truly infirm get a break)

Back to south of the border, the Indian tribes in Mexico have integrated church ideas into separate group activities with their own traditions which does not resemble each other or the Catholic church as whole.

The Church is loosing ground to the Pentecostals like wild fire. The fact the Church has not been treating them right for five hundred years, sharing the riches with the oligarchy, to perpetuate serfdom. In Mexico in many places the Indians can not own land, they have ejedos. Communal property that can be handed down but not sold. Now in the last twenty years the Mexican Government has privatized the ejedos . What has this done, the Indians get ripped off (price wise) and the rich build subdivisions (they call this land reform)

The American have 900 hundred denominations that I know about, if you look it up different groups say 6000 denominations.
    What we have here is a bunch of people are doing things in their own self interest that does not resemble anything positive in the way of religious practices. What’s going to happen is the Church is going to implode.

Then we are going to have a bunch of crazy people milling around saying God has forsaken them. Great just what we need in a world which is already so screwed up, its ready to implode economically and culturally.

Is this a good thing probably, at least something new can replace the BS that has been perpetrated for the last two thousand years. The non believers are not going to have to do anything, I stress anything to make this happen. We have guys like JJJ trying to jam more crap down our throats in the name of “Jesus” only make things worse. There are other religions that live in relative peace, not they don’t have problems.

Really this subject is way too big for one seating we have the Catholic Church gaining ground in Africa (among the ignorant) and a New Pope trying to look concerned but at this time nothing has changed, like Entec said the New Pope raised the age of consensual sex from 12 to 18 ( this was in July) 2000 years two late. (in the Vatican)

I am just scratching the surface here, an ice berg of despair, the most pressing problems remain unseen ( and people call this Christianity what a sad joke to play on a couple of billion people)

H.P.D

• josh says:

Wow! You really got to the root of it there. Blah, Blah, Blah. More contrived nonsense from another Christian hater. What a miserable life you must have. Wasting all that mental energy on paranoid delusions.

• H.P.Drifter says:

You guys are sitting around discussing the quality of the roasted nuts. Get out of town and check things out. Quito Ecuador the Catholics are trying to out law the Protestant churches, or Africa, may I recommend the Republic the Republic of the Congo. Your Christian brothers are being slaughtered as we speak. Try thinking for a change get on the net, if you know how to use it and see for yourself. Your not talking to a drive by journalist like the trash you see on Media Networks, get your feet wet, then you can talk to me.

H.P.D

5. H.P.Drifter says:

All the typos, spelling are my mistakes. Written between a glass of milk and a sandwich Peace on Earth?

H.P.D

Jon; The last few months, I have a sense of something I just couldn’t put my finger on until last night. Your constant repetition of subjects. I’ve been here almost since you started, and there is nothing new anymore. The same old, same old. With the occasional new voice of those who agree with you in the form of cheerleaders. As I said, last night it dawned on me what that something was. When my mother was slipping into dementia, and wound up in assisted living, The conversations, both with her, and her fellow “roomies” exhibited the same tendencies. Virtually identical. Same subjects, and sources. “They say” was a constant refrain, be it the weather or bowel movements. I can’t count the number of calls I received from her warning me of the storms on the way, not considering they were in Texas/Oklahoma, or the East coast. Hurricanes in Florida, or Tidal waves someplace else. “They say” applied in almost every case, and her “roomies” just reinforced her concerns. If someone would contradict their opinions, they would respond with “What do you know”, or a look of disapproval. Your topics and your combined defenses have reached the same level. With my mother, I pretty much quit correcting her, in order to put her mind at ease, which resulted in even more angst on her part. I will say that a couple here that respond negatively to you do more harm than good, but that is beyond my control. In the meantime, I will observe here at the nursing home of your making.

I can add to your description of your mother’s condition that in my experience with similar circumstances there came a time when all religious thought, belief, and comfort went out the window. When a person has dementia, all belief disappears in favor of wondering about observations about shoes, napkins and what the speck on the floor is. You would think that some form of comfort would prevail in the face of dementia, but it does not. So for all those people who think their final days will be eased by thoughts of God and everlasting life, think again. True comfort in the end comes from being warm enough, having food one can chew, and not having to spend time in uncomfortable positions. That’s what really counts in the end; not that Jesus is calling you home. Ultimately then, we can ensure the comfort of our elderly far more by insisting that nursing homes are adequately inspected and maintained, that people who care for our elderly are paid a living wage, and that those who are able can stay in their own homes for as long as possible. Any effort in having itinerate preachers make it to nursing homes on Sunday morning with their sermons is largely wasted effort.

Oh, to the contrary. My mother never ever lost her trust in the Lord to the very end. It was front and center on her mind. Your “…out the window, ..all belief disappears”, etc. was not her case, and she was pretty well all gone, yet at peace. I was there. You over generalize.
        I wouldn’t call pastors that call on their members, “itinerate” who serve them in their rooms or on Sunday services, (usually those services in nursing homes are during the week), and they are denominationally specific for the residents.

An after thought, re “preachers” I have/ do see residents scanning their TV sets with clicker in hand, and they love to watch those “preachers on TV. “Get up and touch your TV set, and be healed, then send in your love gift”. Hmmmm. A word of advice, take control of your loved one’s finances and check book before they become vulnerable adults, and get sucked in. Once those TV guys get their address, they will inundate their mail with weekly bags of dead sea salt, prayer rugs (paper place mat), strips of ribbon, “Miracle spring water”, etc. for “love gifts”. That didn’t happen with my mom, but it is common, and sometimes discovered after all the money is gone.

She was lucky to not have a bad case of dementia then. By the way, I did mean “itinerate” because there is a group of ministers, lay and real, who travel around a wide area doing Sunday services for nursing homes. I think it’s an ego trip for them. Most aren’t very good at it from my experience but beggars can’t be choosers so the nursing homes let them in. They roll up in their 20 year old Lincoln continentals and wax poetic for those poor residents who don’t have the ability to insist on being left alone. It’s really a sad state of affairs for everybody concerned.

The nursing homes I’m familiar with don’t let “itinerate” preachers in. Only clergy that have members in residence are allowed, and they serve their own specific members. Preists for Catholics, Lutherans for Lutherans, etc, and the resident attendance is voluntary. There are no Baptists in this area, so no Baptist ministers. In my town, there is no general population generic church service, and no one is encouraging it. They do let itinerant accordion players play for the residents though, but that isn’t church. The closest to religion I get is when I play the St. Paul Waltz. (The city)

I guess not recognizing family, when it’s time to eat , wipe your butt, take your pills, find your way back to your room, or getting lost two doors down the hall is not a “bad case of dementia then”, including walking away if not “bugged” to trigger the door alarms, with following degradation. Yet in spite of all that she still kept the faith.

My grandmother whom lived to be 3 months into 100, and had most of her mind until age 94-95. Spent many days in school learning about math, worried about needing the change the oil on her car (her wheelchair was her car), and was worried she wouldn’t get her homework done on time. Up until then she read the bible every single night. She read the bible through word for word 3-4 times at least. She was very devout in her beliefs. Taught my sister and I the 23rd psalm every time we stayed with her.

She didn’t talk about church or God at all in the last couple years of her life. She also forgot the english language… She spoke fluent English, but, her native language was German. She constantly would switch from English to German then back to English. My mom knew German, and I knew a few words, so at least my mom could communicate when she needed to..

But, yeah, when it came down to it… she lost everything about who she had been in the last 3-4 years of her life.

It was the same with my father who had brain cancer, and lost consciousness an hour before he died peacefully in hospice.

Wanna 3:19 “What that something was..”

I’m always appreciative of your occasional pyschoanalystic observations. They, themselves, have a pattern. It is “I am well, others are not.”

I’m obviously aware that I repeat topics here over and over. I find something a little new to cover with an old topic and go with that. It is not dementia, it is a stategy.

Have you ever noticed columnists in your paper? They revisit the same topics. Cal Thomas, repeats the need for more morality, but warns about getting it through government. The other day, Robert Samuelson, the economics writer said, “I’ve written about this so many times, I can’t count the times.” Magizines on the news stand repeat the same topics.

Everyone repeats because certain topics are popular and readership in all venues has some turnover. New readers have not seen what appeared before. If someone wants to look in on the blog, I appreciate it. It’s not for everyone. But, the readership continues to grow, and, I’m thankful for that.

Hardly a psychoanalysis. Just an observation of content., Unless of course you feel you need psychoanalysis. If you do, go someplace else. Your: “I am well or not”, has nothing to do with the content of your blog, but an attempt to shift responsibility. Your “strategy” is clear, and your defense is foggy. ” Foggy”, hmmmm.

• H.P.Drifter says:

Jon

Sometimes you are a very funny guy

“Others are Not”
        Made my day

H.D.P

HDP: By the acridity of your past posts, you clearly fit the profile of : “I am well, others are not”. A good self diagnosis. That indeed is funny. Pots and kettles.

• Catholic Dad says:

Wanna Be Sure

Thanks for sharing about your Mother, my heart goes out to you. I had the pleasure of working in a nursing home at one time in my life. It was very rewarding, but sad at the same time. I made a lot of good friends, and learned a lot. I still get a smile on my face, when I think of a few residents.

The bond between a Mother and a son is extraordinary, and I’m thankful that you take the time to receive the calls from your Mother.

Thanks again, for reminding us, what is important in life.

Again much gratitude

7. H.P.Drifter says:

josh here are a few examples in the English Press

Sen. Paul: ‘Worldwide War on Christians is Being Waged by a …
    cnsnews.com › News?

? Cached

The war on Christians » The Spectator

Current Religious Conflict Zones | FunVax
    funvax.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/current-religious-conflict-zone
    Thousands of Christians Flee Violence in Central African Republic
    Christian News Network
    Christians Face Increased Violence Since Arab Spring While Absent …
    http://www.christianpost.com › world?

? Cached

Christian Cults and Violence: Modern America – Agnosticism / Atheism
    atheism.about.com › Christianity › Christian Violence?

? Cached
    ? Similar

‘Deep concern’ over violence in Latin America | Christian News on …

Anti-Christian Violence Rising in India « Persecution News

These is just a few articles available, dig deeper

H.D.P All current

• josh says:

Josh? Who are you responding too? You must have me on your mind. Sorry. Not your type. I am however working on that slander lawsuit. watch your mail.

That’s very christian of you putting more money into a lawyer and less into the church…

At first I was thinking of it as a sarcastic remark.. Actually, it has a ring of truth to it so I think it’s more of a pun… Christians do put more money into legal fees than their church.. well, o.k. more of the pastoral / priestly than the congregation.. But, all the funds get filtered to the same place one way or another.

8. H.P.Drifter says:

Yes indeed if the shoes fit wear them.
    I wear mine very well thank you.

H.P.D

Woke up this morning, Sunday morning here Saturday afternoon there, and saw that the number of posts had gone up quite a bit and thought this will give me something to think about. But I guess I know why the media industry talk about the silly season.

Jon you know that over the past few months I have noticed that unless the topic contains gays, sin or guns there is often very little interest, except for occasions when someone gets bored and decides that it is time to insult you on a personal level, nothing yet has reached the intellectual standard of the “turd in the punchbowl of life”.

Enlgihtenment! :) I noticed the same. The open mindedness of Christian debate abilities are really sadly not challenging or enlightening. Takes me back to the same crap I grew up with as a child. “I’m right, You’re wrong, that makes me better than you…” The problem was that then I was a christian too… and somehow I was still wrong… Because I existed… I wondered why I had an inferiority complex.. LOL. I was inferior to everyone because I existed that was my sin, I was somehow responsible for confessing that I screwed up I existed…

Yes, I would actually admire and respect the Christians that discuss openmindedly. Not putting down others, and demonstrating actual compassion for other vs. dominance and arrogance.

Catholic Dad, you’re probably the Christian on here I have the most respect for… And you’re one of those evil Catholics my parents hate so much!!! I wish there were more Christians like you on here!

• josh says:

LINDGRENS LAW!

No, When he was mayor, he may have passed ordnances, but, I don’t think he passed any state laws…. I could be wrong though. very easily.. Could maybe be a Lindgren’s Ordinance though.