What’s In a Name.

Today I appeared at our local Island Park with a national group promoting the registration of guns and guns ownership.  I got a surprise.

Originally, I was called by someone to say a few words.  Later, there was another call saying my role in things was to read names people who have been killed by guns.

The entire appearance was a little unsettleing because I’m not the current Mayor, I have not been the Mayor for almost 20 years and the current Mayor is sympathic to more gun restrictions but did not want to appear.  I stopped in to see him to make sure he did not disapprove of my appearing and we had a nice chat about the event.

I was not unhappy at the prospect of reading name of victums instead of giving remarks about the hazards of guns, but I thought the theater of reading names would not be effective.  What would be the point, I wondered.

After some others gave remarks, I was invited to the podium to say a few words and begin the reading of name.  The names were read because the event was called, “No More Names.” (to be added to those who died by guns.)

I was surprised by how reading the names affected me.  I did not know anyone whose name, age, date of death and city I read.  But, it was a powerful experience.

The ages were almost all young.  Many had the same last name, family rampages.

I now understand how reading rhe names of those killed by guns is an effective way to tell a story.

12 Responses to What’s In a Name.

Did you read the names of any of the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghans killed by U.S. government guns. Most of them unarmed civilians. You would trust that same government with an unarmed citizenry at home? I wouldn’t.

If you have time listen to this interview with a former Reagan administration official on the lies and deceit of this government. They are planning a police state.

Michael 3:48 “Did you read the names…of Iraqis and Afghans killed by US gov’t guns.”

Good point. There are thousands of innocent people killed everyday for preventable reasons–drunk driving, speeding, bar fights.. They should all be read somewhere.

2. Clio says:

Oh, please tell me more about the honest and true Reagan Administration.

Jon:“I now understand how reading the names of those killed by guns is an effective way to tell a story.”

The story I hear is More Guns, Less Crime.

Henry 11:53 “The story I hear is more guns, less crime.”

I’m sure you are right, there are some crimes prevented by the fact citizens carry guns. There are also many accidents, suicides, drunks shooting guns, jilted lovers killing children and expartners. In a perfect world, we would have people who use them in productive ways carry guns, others not. I don’t see any harm in looking into how we could prevent some of the innocent deaths.

Jon:“I don’t see any harm in looking into how we could prevent some of the innocent deaths.”

Likewise, it would be equally productive to confiscate any knife that is not an unserrated butter knife. It would also be equally productive to confiscate Tylenol, a dangerous drug.

Henry 12:33 “unserrated butter knife.”

We could eliminate all speed limits, fed. requirements for car safety, acholol age limits because, well, they are just ridiculous. For some reason, we debated all these and came to some degree of agreement these things are dangerous enough to regulate.

Jon:“We could eliminate all speed limits, fed. requirements for car safety, acholol age limits because, well, they are just ridiculous.”

Jon, I would agree with your point. There is no constitutional limit on government infringement of those referenced activities. However, guns, speech, and religion all have constitutional limits on government infringement.

Don’t like the law or lack thereof? Then, first change the constitutional framework that prevents your proposed legislative laws. Then, add your laws in. There is a proper order.

• Michael Ross says:

“There is no constitutional limit on government infringement of those referenced activities.”

If the powers are not specifically given to the federal government they are reserved for the states or the people. Feds butt out!

Michael 3:33 “Feds butt out!!”

So far as I know, all the majorities of the Supreme Court justices thought they were interpreting the Constitution correctly. These included the ones who considered black people not full citizens and the ones later who changed that. Betweem the Constitution and the Bible, we have enough to entertain citizens of our country for a hundred generations to come.

I wish that were the case. However, later amendments and interpretations watered that provision down to the point of uselessness.