Is the Social Justice Gospel Finally Raising its Head?

Mostly these days we see the political branch of religion focusing on anti abortion and anti gay government laws.  Today something different is afoot.  On board are Catholics and Protestants, right and left.

Yesterday I mentioned the press’ desire to focus on emotion.  While this is not all bad, I do get a bit cynical when I see full-screen close ups and long takes on TV of people crying.  It’s as if  reporters get bonus’ for tears.

Clashes of moral principles, which usually involve emotions,  are also big with media.  This story involving church officials seems to me an early indication of the kind of media coverage coming over federal budget cuts.  Church officials stressed, in their letter to Congress, the moral principles of taking care of the poor.

My prediction is the argument these religious officials make, Congress should fund programs for the poor,  will get more more and better coverage than the moral argument the Republican majority is making.

The moral argument Republicans are making is debt will be passed onto future generations,  it hurts the economy and is creeping socialism.  While these Republican arguments have been competitive in the recent past, I think I’m correct in saying they have never been confronted with these circumstances.

If budget sequestration shortfalls in assistance to the poor becomes a moral/religious issue, it will be fascinating politics to watch.  Especially interesting will be to see how it affects the standing of the Republican Party with Christian politics.

9 Responses to Is the Social Justice Gospel Finally Raising its Head?

1. Brad says:

For now at least, the Republican strategy is a two point plan: crash the economy, and blame Obama and hope to use that to regain power. The problem is that they cannot allow the Obama years to be successful, because success means their entire ideology is a hoax.

Brad 12:54 “…the Republican strategy….”

Certainly, that must be the strategy of some Republicans. Both parties are made up of diverse interests–amazing the politicsal system works as well as it does.

There is such an interesting split happening in ND just now. The ND Senate said no money for a flood control project until there is Fed Funding. This is the same position another fellow and I had before Cass County voted on a sales tax for flood control. We said, “Vote No. Wait until Fed Funding is in place.”

Local officials said not to pay any attention to us–Fed. funding was assured. It passed by a large margin. Now, the Legistlature is saying the same thing we did.

• Brad says:

One thing I’ve noticed over the past 10 or so years is that Democrats will propose something, the Republicans will shoot it down, and later they recycle the same idea and take credit for it when it proves a good idea.

Another interesting fact is that in ND, liberals are getting their way far more often than the hard right wing. Most of the initiated measures from the right are defeated, usually by huge margins such as the property tax measure and the religious freedom measure. At the same time, the Fighting Sioux nickname, the state funding increase for K-12 (that was done in the legislature however), and the smoking ban all went the liberals way.

ND isn’t quite as hard right wing as some would have us believe.

• Jeffrey Eide says:

Hey Brad,

“ND isn’t quite as hard right wing as some would have us believe. ”

I would have to agree with you. In fact, the same seems to be true about the USA as a while. I think the public tends to lean more liberal than the parties (Both) are making their base out to be, and this is simply politics catching up with the times.

Don’t you feel that the public’s inability to discuss these issues in a rational manner has stiffed interest in sharing people’s point of view?

2. Avatar of Kevin Kevin says:

I thought “the great society” solved everything.

• Jeffrey Eide says:

I just glanced at your blog, I see that snide remarks are your M.O.

Please feel free to elaborate your opinions in a way I can respond to.

3. buzz says:

Guess I would rather spend Tax monies on social programs than wars. North Dakota’s stiff necked tight assed politicians won’t even support milk money for little kids. What a shame.

4. Jeffrey Eide says:

Once again, great article Jon, but I have to wonder, how easily would we be able to solve our current economic drama if we would simply start taxing religious income?