Jay Bakker Replaces Certainty with Doubt and Hope.

Understanding our minds is a lifelong pursuit.  Most people feel their own reasoning is logical and sound.  We look at other people and are perplexed at what they believe and how they reason.

I’m attracted to people with minds that have at least a little self doubt.  They wonder if the next thing they learn will make things look altogether different than they do now.

One version of doubt within the faith is to reason, “I know what the rules are, but am I a good, or good enough, Christian?”  Another version is, “Do we really know the rules, or, might they be quite arbitrary?”  Then, there is the doubt, “Is there really a god, or, is it part of my imagination?”

I attended a lecture this week by a professor in evolutionary biology.  There were religious folks in the audience who prodded him during Q & A as to where/how earth started, implying that it must have started with a divine being.

The young professor was careful to say no one knows for certain how it started and refused to overstate what is known.  He said experiments have been done combining elements  present at the beginning and they yielded interesting results, but we don’t really know.  There may be many explanations, he said.

Preacher, Jay Bakker, finds doubt and uncertainty to be a part of his faith.  His method of expressing the faith seems a way to connect with young minds.

Perhaps he is the future of the faith.

FaceBook, Red River Freethinkers

crossed_b_2719657.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

11 Responses to Jay Bakker Replaces Certainty with Doubt and Hope.

A local television panel show this week had Laurence Krause and a man called John Dixon as guests, Dixon is Director of Centre for Public Christianity.

Both spoke very well with some mutual respect. I have just read Dixons thoughts on the programme on a site called “Bible Light”, some comments:

Excellent debate on science & faith on QandA tonight.. john Dickson did a brilliant job. Can you follow Jesus AND love science? I do!

Prof. Krauss, is himself, a brilliant argument for God. A smart, articulate, engaging man arising from primordial stew? I doubt it.

John Dixon congrats on QandA discussion tonight. Australia needs to hear a voice of respectful and rational Xtianity more than ever.

One a bit naughty but humerous I find myself agreeing with the religious guy. Call an ambulance. #qanda

Only mentioned it because it reminds of Bakker, a rational voice for a change some of you new critics could take lessons.

2. Brad says:

People that frighten me the most are those who have absolute certainty, usually the right-wing Christian fundamentalists. If we really had absolute certainty, we could shut down our entire system of democracy, not to mention all the religions and churches and just follow the pied piper who has all the answers. How could we go wrong?

3. Jeffrey Eide says:

Great article, Jon, thanks. I guess it gives a whole new meaning to wishful thinking.

Jeffery 5:18 re wishful thinking.

I don’t agree with Bakker we need religion to have hope. But, if that idea helps someone, that’s OK, too. Maybe has doubts religion is needed as well.

• Jeffrey Eide says:

I agree with you, I want people to be happy. That said, I think people have an obligation to each other to questions beliefs. Our beliefs all have consequences on our lives, and believing in an unjustified assertion , no matter how common, may influence someones views.

So as long as Bakker doesn’t mind someone questioning his beliefs, I look forward to more religious people making similar declarations of humility.

Jay Bakker, son of Jim and Tammy Faye. Pastor of a gay friendly church. God spoke to him and said “homosexuality is not a sin”. So much for the Bible and 2000 years of church teaching. It can’t be wrong if it feels right. Doubt and hope? Hedonism, I would call it.

• Brad says:

Well, there you go. That’s the same Bible that promotes slavery and commands that children be put to death for disobeying their parents. I guess anyone’s political or personal agenda can be justified just by reading the Bible.

• Jeffrey Eide says:

Mr. Ross, I beg of you, come up with an original argument for hating homosexuals. By referencing the bible every time, you just highlight the fact that you have not actually thought about it very much. If you are going to be prejudiced, at least do it out of your own rationale.

Do you also support the death penalty for working on the Sabbath?

Unfortunately when your mind set is dominated by a book that is old, and thought to be the truth, it is difficult to be original. Michael does better than most on many subjects, but is held back by this, in my little opinion.

• Brad says:

The only way I can consider the Bible as any sort of spiritual guide is by ignoring the parts that are so obviously crazy.