“Lincoln”, The Movie.

This movie is soaked in politics.  I hope everyone can see it.

When you see it, test yourself about which characters you identify yourself with.  I was reminded of a letter I received from a lady well known in our community during the anti abortion protest period years ago.

She lamented she had not become involved with the anti segregation marches in the 1960′s and 70′s.  But, she was proud she was doing what she considered to be the same thing, working against abortion and gay rights.

What??, I thought.  Depriving rights from women and gays is like being on the side of black people during the civil rights struggles?

I learned later most anti abortion rights and anti gay rights people think of themselves in this way.  When watching the Lincoln movie, they will identify with Lincoln, thinking of themselves as part of a noble effort the make society better for everyone.

Of course, those of us supporting women’s rights and gay rights also identify ourselves with Lincoln.  We are unable to see how our opponents think depriving groups of rights has anything whatsoever in common with Lincoln’s effort.

That these two hopelessly different perspectives exist within our society at the same time does not mean they are unresolvable.  Eventually one will come to prevail over the other in public opinion as happened in slavery and later segregation.

I see many reasons both gay rights and women’s right to abortion will prevail, but politics is full of surprises.

FaceBook, Red River Freethinkers

12 Responses to “Lincoln”, The Movie.

1. Stanta says:

He was one hell of a Republican wasn’t he?

Stan–A good Republican he was. And the Dems in the movie were squarely behind legalized slavery. The two parties were so different back then you have to consentrate to remember which are on what side in the movie.

• Stanta says:

Do you know the country of Liberia was created as a new homeland for reparation of the slaves back to Africa after the war ended? Lincoln did not feel it was possible for the two races to life side by side.

The emancipation Proclamation was an economic warfare dodge by Lincoln. He hoped that agriculture and manufacturing would be paralyzed when the slaves revolted. Didn’t happen, how do you get the word to the slaves it was made and where would they get the supplies and armament to revolt.

• Jinx says:

Lincoln was just wrong.

• Jinx says:

Err I mean wrong about races living side by side.

Considering the culture and beliefs of Lincoln’s time one can understand why he thought so

I still think highly of Lincoln but do acknowledge he had a number of warts (sorry for the pun).

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.” — Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) 16th US President Source: Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858

Martin Luther King “Pro-life” Quotes

Although the Reverend Martin Luther King died before abortion was legalized in this country in 1973, I believe that the following quotes can be applied to the pro-life movement.

“One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws, but conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

“A just law squares with the moral law of the law of God. An unjust law . . . is out of harmony with the moral law.”

“Let justice roll down like the waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.”

~ Martin Luther King

As much good as MLK did, it wasn’t for the pro-life movement. He was assasinated before roe v wade, but he was an ardent supporter of Planned Parenthood. He even won their Margaret Sanger Award in 1966 and had his wife give a speech entitled Family Planning – A Special and Urgent Concern which he wrote.

Pretty ironic him winning the Magaret Sanger award considering her racist eugenic agenda.

Though his niece Dr. Alveda King, works for Priests for Life.

• Jinx says:

Over time culture changes…..a cultural universal as well as a necessity for a culture to change.

• Michael Ross says:

Right you are Jinx. Abe was a politician. What he said was politically correct at the time. Few have ever stood for principle. In recent times I believe Ron Paul was one of those few, and he was soundly rejected by Americans.

3. Today’s struggle to end the killing of unborn children is a lot like the struggle to end slavery in Lincoln’s time. Both abortion and slavery qualify as “National Sins”..or worst ones in all of our history…… for which the nation pays the price.

4. Jinx says:

Good old Cognitive Dissonance……….incongruity between what you believe/think/say and what you actually do, we all have it but the real issue is what are you going to do to harmonize your cognition and your behavior.