Are You ill If You Actually Hear the Voice of God?

No, not unless you hear it often.  That’s from a psychologist/anthropologist who interviewed people about hearing voices or feeling an awareness of spirits when no one was present.

What makes religion and the folks who take it seriously so interesting is the difference among people who say they have heard the voice of God, those who are only aware of God’s preferences and those who have heard nor seen neither.

Of public figures, we heard in 2012 several who said they had heard or seen indications of God’s preference.  Three or four of the Republican candidates for the Presidency each said  God had indicated he preferred him/her.  Pat Robertson said he thought God had told him Romney would win but admitted later he misinterpreted God’s message to him.

The attached research indicates people need a certain level of or interest in creativity to find the voice of God.  Those who hear the voice are more creative in finding nuances of what is going on in their minds.  They also tend to spend more time praying than those who don’t hear from God.

I recall sitting at our kitchen table years ago while a student of my wife told of out of body dreams, flying about.  He flew all over the world.  He said he found a technique for suppressing an inhibition that otherwise would have held back this phenomenon.

Perhaps hearing God in the mind is something like this, requiring practice and the lack of some inhibition others have.

Facebook, Red River Freethinkers

30 Responses to Are You ill If You Actually Hear the Voice of God?

1. People who say they hear God talking to them may be imagining things.
    The way that God speaks now is thru scripture.

Vox populorum est vox day: “the voice of the people is the voice of God” I noticed this in the Minnesota legistlature chamber. They may hear the voice of the “God” everyday but if they are like most politicians, they pay no attention. Are they ill?

Phonies like Robertson, Michelle Bachmann, Santorum, Rick Perry and the like are only trying to get votes or donations.

4. Stanta says:

How interesting that when Christ/God spoke to me it was the beginning of my healing. I was consumed by that most common of sins, Hate. I had placed all my failings and bitterness before my ex-wife. What he said started a healing process that continues today.

5. buzz marick says:

I believe my experiences with God as my higher power is totally individually tailored to my needs and is directly related to my spiritual condition.I have been blessed with 13 plus years of practicing humility. it’s available just for the honest request

The metafore of “A still small voice” needs to be considered.

Wanna 3:40 “A still small voice.”

I’m sure everyone has experienced something coming into their mind/”brain” sort of unexpectantly. It happens to me all the time. I’ve heard others say solutions to complicated problems come into their heads while exercising or doing some kind of mundane physical work. This happens to me all the time.

I building an airplane from scratch. I don’t know much about this so things come up all the time that I have trouble figuring out. Solutions drop into me while exercising in the evenings. I don’t really understand why this happens. Since I’m not a believer, I don’t think the one-to-be-believed-in would do me the favor of pumping solutions into my mind. Perhaps one who believes would think the god gave him these solutions. For myself, whereever they come from, I’m greatful. : )

Jon; Entirely different content……..and context.

again

Wanna 4:52 “again”

Right, the things that come unexpectantly into my mind do not involve my personal immortality, personal services for resolution of sin or other matters focused on my own self importance.

“…or other matters focused on my own self importance”. Such arrogance on your part. Humility is at the heart of this “still small voice”. Perhaps you might ” hear it”, (although I would rather doubt it, ) if your airplane motor stopped at altitude in the mountains.

Wanna 5:25 “Perhaps you might ‘hear it’ (although I would rather doubt it) if you airplane motor stopped at altitude in the mountains.”

Actually, this is discussed among pilots. Someone even did a study of the most uttered words by pilots found in black boxes just before they died in crashes. The most uttered words, almost the only thing they say is, “Oh shit.” Your doubts are well founded, not only for me but pilots in general.

Jon; I’m well aware of the “Oh shit”. I probably would say that too. Not the point. You didn’t address the …”other matters focused on my own self importance”. Nope, you won’t hear “the still small voice”, that is clear.

Jon; I suspect you are thinking of those preachers who abuse “God spoke to me”…last night, and told me to tell you..bla bla…, or something similar. This is an insult to most Christians. These are doing this to bolster their self importance, or manipulation of their followers. There is no humility in this. Don’t confuse this with “the still small voice”. You won’t listen to God, He won’t “speak to you. You reject Him, and that is the source of the “bondage of the Will”. You have the freedom to reject, but not the freedom to accept. It is beyond your ability. Pride and arrogance prevents it.

We have been here many times. It is beyond you Jon.

Jon; I too would say “oh shit” on the way down. You would say “oh shit” on the way down, and —–after the crash.

Jon; Silly me ! ! I let you tangent me away from the “still small voice”, to the “Oh shit” thingie. Smooth on your part. But we are now back on track. It won’t help you though on the way down, or after. You won’t hear it.

Wanna 9:31 You did not site any scripture when you referred to “one small voice”. Thus it only now dawned on me that’s what you were talking about. I did look it up–it seems to be about that you can only hear the voice after a strong or some other noise. Other than that, I can’t say I get anything from the passage. Maybe readers would like an explanation as to what it means which you could provide.

Jon; So you can clearly see; paragraph two of your 5:34 is irrelevant to the first, (My statement). Slicko Chango. You almost got by with it. Really, is this the best you can do?

Jon; Those in the Christian community understand what the “still small voice” is. I’m afraid no amount of explanation will be sufficient for you, so I won’t.

Jon; I will give you a tip on “the still small voice”. Read the whole chapter for the context. Better yet, read the whole book. One verse does not an explanation make. There is your assignment.

Jon; Even with the tip, I don’t have much hope you’ll catch it. You’ll find some excuse not to.

Wanna 12:06 “You’ll find some excuse not to.”

I am kind of busy.

Jon; See? I told you so.

7. Stanta says:

I would say that for the most part most Christians would be praying for something as mundane as designing aircraft parts unless their job or life depended on it right NOW!

God gave us a brain and expects us to use it in this world, even if it is secular.

8. buzz marick says:

if you don’t want what God has to offer He certainly will not force it on you. forced love and belief is not love or belief.