Sell That Hell.

Today I read two articles in Catholic sites, one presenting a problem, the other offering a solution of sorts.  The discussion applied to various Protestant faiths as well.

One discussion was about an upcoming conference on the growth of secularism.  A Catholic official was quoted as saying there is a ”tsunami of secularism” sweeping the world.

The Pope has expressed optimism about the future of the Church saying when people encounter its age-old truths, they will return.  The other article, unrelated to the upcoming conference, discussed one of these age-old truths.

This is hell. The concern is parish priests do not discuss hell enough.  The author thinks the Divine judgement of hell needs a constant presence in the Church’s message.

While neither article said specifically discussing hell would bring people back to church, that’s a conclusion one could reach.  And, it is absurd because the reason hell is not discussed is because people don’t want to here about it.

The concern of the hierarchy must be if one part of the message, that we are born in sin and headed for hell, is left out, the other part, that the church can save you from this hell, might seem ridiculous as well.  They are stuck with, maybe in, hell.

The Catholic Church, and others like the Southern Baptists, have painted themselves into a corner.  They have preached the sin and hell theology is the only correct one.

When hell doesn’t sell, there is no other product left on the self.

16 Responses to Sell That Hell.

Jon: “that we are born in sin and headed for hell,”

I think you left a little out, too.

Jon: “that the church can save you from this hell”

The church saves? I am unfamiliar with that theology.

Well Jon, it looks like you have brought up hell so often here that even the nonbelievers aren’t interested in it anymore either.

Wanna 4:18 You are right, I write about it a lot. When churches agree with me, I write about it even more.

“When churches agree with me”, Now, you are the source of revelation for the churches. Me- -Me–Me. The Prophet to the church. “sin and hell theology is the only correct one”. Are you sure the Pope agrees with you? You sound more like a false prophet.

Wanna 7:59 “a false prophet.”

I’m just the messenger–reporting events that come along. Does the Pope agree with me? Of course not. Neither does 90 some % of his members agree with him on birth control.

Birth control; I thought you were talking about hell. Do you have a recipe for parsnip wine?

“So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3“But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:2)

Everyone has a concept of eternal life. You notice the name of Sanford going up all around Fargo. He gives millions to to build facilities for public use. Nothing wrong with that but is he doing it to help and be of service to others less fortunate? Or to see his name in lights and will be remembered after is gone. I believe that is eternal life for him. That, at least , is what Matt 6:2 is saying. Hell for him is to be forgotten. What is you concept of heaven eternal life? Just curious.

Michael 6:55 “Everyone has a concept of eternal life…What is your concept of heaven eternal life? Just curious.”

I disagree that everyone has a concept of eternal life. Now a person might remain in the memories of others, until that generation is dead. If people wrote about the person, he/she might be the topic of discussion for a long time, like George Washington or Abe Lincoln. But, these people are not “alive”, they are dead, but remembered and discussed.

My concept of eternal life? There is none. When you are dead, you are dead, period. There is no reliable evidence to the contrary.

Religions, like Christianity, make a living telling people they can live forever. They take people’s money but give nothing in return.

To sell something that does not exist would be a crime, wouldn’t it?

Yes, and since Jon introduced the concept of “selling hell”, he should be held accountable. Do you think it should be a felony, or a misdemeanor? I haven’t seen hell for sale on E-Bay, so I’m not sure of the monitary value. Would it be a State or Federal crime?

Wanna 10:20 Actually, if I’d have become a preacher, I think I’d be really good at selling hell. Now, with all these digital aids I would have pasted firey pictures on the wall of the sanctuary. Right after I had everyone scared, I’d tell them I had arranged for Jesus to save them. Then, it would be collection plate time.

Better yet, you would promote Dante’s ; “The The Divine Comedy.” That is what most people picture hell to be already. Just polish it up a little, (with your firery pictures?) But that would be false advertising, and that should be a “crime” also. Re: your ” I’d tell them I had arranged for Jesus to save them.” This reveals a dishonest salesman. I’m not surprised you thought of that. No one has the authority to make arrangements , timing or plans for Jesus’ activity. There have been those who have done that in the past, have failed, and we know who they are.

Probably misrepresentation would cover it. Don’t know about state or federal what does crimes against humanity come under?

We Sell Hell!

“We Sell Hell!” Are you buying or selling? Didn’t bother to click on it. Is it on the board? I hear it went public, and international. Wonder where the futures are at. There might even be some hedging. (Ya, as if that’s going to help). Don’t sell yourself short. The alternative is FREE…….unless you are….. BOUND…and determined to reject it.