Why Conservative Christians Don’t Vote in Their Own Interests.

Conventional thinking among social scientists has had it wrong.  Conservative religious people do not struggle between following their faith and economic issues.  There is a seamless religious path to voting against there own interests.

To most of these voters, voting against their own interests is effortless.  That’s because economic policy is not guided by politics or policy makers, it is guided by God.  There is no reason to think they are not getting a fair shake because God’s plan is being carried out.

In the heads of such folks, God is actively guiding the economy.  That the rich keep getting richer and the poor poorer is of no concern because God has his reasons.  The idea their own votes for tax policies caused this does not compete well with the idea God placed it there.

This makes sense because a god exists in the mind only.  Because of this, the god is concerned with whatever the mind is concerned with.  When the mind is preoccupied with, for example,  a dislike for gays, the god is preoccupied with the same thing.

Thus, when the conservative Christian decides how to vote, he hears the god telling him to vote on the basis of social issues, what he and his god have been thinking about.  They have not been thinking about his best economic interests.  The tradition social scientist misses the power of the invisible.

In the 1930′s, voters minds went secular.  Living on beans changed the god’s mind.

One day it may happen again.

18 Responses to Why Conservative Christians Don’t Vote in Their Own Interests.

1. Kraig says:

Until their voting actually ends up hurting themselves, they will continue to wear their blinders. I don’t think we’re too far from that point, but I could be wrong.

From time to time, society needs an extreme event to wake them up from their slumber. It makes you wonder how bad it has to get before the common people, the working men and women of North Dakota decide the millionaires they voted in are not looking out for their best interests.

But I think most of them will just plod along and blame the entirely wrong people for their problems, at least for now.

• Brad says:

Kraig, I think you are exactly right. People are not going to stop their insanity at the voting booth until reality forces them to. They will continue to vote for Republican policies (which by the way Democrats have also embraced) until those policies drive them into the ground.

2. Stanta says:

I vote like the rich guys because if I DO get rich on my own merit, I wnat to determine where my money goes.

• Brad says:

Unfortunately, that’s the fallacy too many people have bought into – that if you keep voting Republican, you will get rich. Given the fact that only 1% of the population ever achieves that, it is a statistical fact that you have a 99% chance of never reaching that goal.

Stanta 3:48 “I want to determine where my money goes.”

The problem with that is by voting for lower taxes for the rich, you vote for higher taxes on yourself. The odds are you will have less money to determine where it goes. You need to think less about the surface and more about two or three layers down in the process.

Jon; “You need to think less about the surface, and more about three layers down in the process”. VERY GOOD !!! Now, do the same with Biblical Christianity, and the Bible itself. You have the concept, now apply it.

Wanna 2:53 “Now do the same with Biblical Christianity, and the Bible itself…”

That is exactly the advice I would give to you–be a little skeptical–look a little deeper–don’t accept what you see at face value–and you will see it like I do.

Jon; Your self admitted lack of understanding manyBiblical issues, and your responses reveal your inability or refusal to “look a little deeper”. Your pointie finger reveals the remainder pointing right back at you.

Jon; As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised that you (subconsciencely) ? hold back in doing an indepth biblical/comparative study on many issues because your mind is made up, and/or are afraid of just what you may find.

Wanna 3:51 We need a little something for the record, here. I have said over and over again people like admit me do not have an answer to origin of the universe. We say that at least one of many possibilities is that of a super natural explanation.

I have asked you over and over again to say explicitely that since we have never seen a god, there might not be one. I believe my recollection is accurate, you have never been willing to admit this. You steadfastly close your mind to anything except the simple view, “Yes, there is a god.”

A little humility, at least equal to mine (which I will admit is not a lot :) ) would be in order here.

Jon; Your intention is for me to admit that there may not be “a god”. You fail.
            I see no evidence that there isn’t, and I totally reject your proposal. The old saying; “Absence of evidence, (by your specific definition), is not evidence of absence.”

And I am humbled before that God.

Probably out of sequence, and off topic, but I seem to remember Entech or Jon question the mustard growing the size of a tree for birds to nest in. Meant to respond then, but it slipped by. Remembering now. 1. it was a parable, 2. mustard tree, not the herb. 3. grows to 20 ft. and just as wide. 4. considered an evergreen shrub, 5. Salvadora persica, 6. in Arabia also known as aarak tree. 7. grows in the Middle East, and in other similar climes. Seek and ye shall find. Mock it and you will never find it.

4. Avatar of Kay Syvrud Kay Syvrud says:

IT IS FATHERS’ DAY:
    “Like as a father pities (has compassion on) his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him.”

Happy fathers’ day to the dads who read(and write) this blog.

5. Avatar of Kay Syvrud Kay Syvrud says:

That is from Psalm 103…the father image.

6. Avatar of seaofstories seaofstories says:

“People either increase their sense of dispossession by clarifying it, or they try to dismiss it as unimportant because of an ideology that justifies their dispossession as part of a larger project. People thus very often act against their own interests as the result of ideologies they hold which justify their subalternity to themselves. Denial and hope both play a hand in this. These compensatory ideologies are part of the hegemonic influence over subject peoples in an imperial situation. It happens in all class systems, meaning all cultures in recorded history, since the first great agrarian and urban civilizations.” — Pauline in 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson