What’s Next for Women?

It was just a few years ago I argued with someone that anti abortion politics would spread to become anti birth control politics.  This person scoffed.  “Birth control is so widespread there is no way politically the small anti birth control believers could get traction.”

Anti birth control politics has arrived.  I think this sends a dark cloud over the future for women unless we all stand up to stop it.

The nature of some people is to never be satisfied with the advantages they have.  In the conservative realm, some accomplishments are never enough–some always want more.

Limiting the availability of birth control will only satisfy these parts of the social conservative political circles for a short while.  They will want even more.  What might that be?

I’d suggest  the answer lies in what we can see with our own eyes in the Catholic Church and parts of the Protestant church.  We see men running things.  Behind what we see is a theology that the proper role for women is to not be in charge of anything important–to serve men.

The passion for putting women back in “their place” should not be underestimated.  It is in the Bible, preached from pulpits and taught by parents to their children.

The desire to limit opportunities for women is alive and well.  Those that feed the anti abortion and birth control beasts should not think that is where the political road ends.

21 Responses to What’s Next for Women?

Jon: “We see men running things.”

You should have been paying better attention.

Henry 4:08 Then, there are women priests, bishops and popes? I did not know. And, officers in the Southern Baptist Convention, haven’t seen any women there–but I’m sure you are right, I need to pay better attention.

I do not necessarily have the male pastor’s ear. His wife and the women’s organizations within the church certainly do. My humble observation.

2. Bob says:

I agree with you on this one wholeheartedly, Jon.
    Its unbelievable, reprehensible, unforgivable, that we would go backwards like this as it concerns women’s rights over their own bodies. Just damn scary. And I hope there will be a backlash. A big one.

I don’t like abortion, not one bit, but it needs to be safe, private, and protected and available as an option for women. Because we don’t live in a perfect world. Things just happen, they just do. No one sets out for those things to happen.

And birth control needs to be available over the counter, enough already. Including the day after pill. Its just rediculous that all birth control is not left to the free market. I think its an intellectual and moral crime NOT to have birth control available over the counter.

Well said Bob. I think what the anti-abortion movement doesn’t understand is that just because you make something illegal doesn’t make it stop. If we go back to having abortion be illegal that will just push women to find other, unsafe, means. If they really want to lower the number of abortions they should support women’s health issues, including access to birth control.

3. Avatar of Mac Mac says:

Jon, it’s always been a favorite conservative pass time to complain about supporting the product of unplanned preganancies. They’re simply protecting one of their main sources of enjoyment. Well, that an forcing their religion on everyone else.

Actually my theory is starting to shift a bit. I think these types of people are really concerned about controlling others more than serving their God. They have learned that the best way to controll the simple minded is to say they’re doing it because it’s what God wants. I used to think it was truly their faith motivating them, but it’s lust for power and control.

I know you’ve been saying that for years.

Mac 4:17 “They have learned the best way to control the simple minded is to say they’re doing it because it’s what God wants.”
      Good observation. And, we can both be thankful it is not everyone in the faith nor all branches of it. It is the conservative branch, and, perhaps most heavily weighted in it’s leadership.

Great. Mac characterizes some of those in a church as “simple minded”. Wow, I didn’t think anybody could get away with labeling people anymore.

*space for mac*

Jon: “It is the conservative branch, and, perhaps most heavily weighted in it’s leadership.”

I didn’t know I was leadership.

4. Avatar of Hexum Hexum says:

I couldn’t agree with you more on this Jon. If you listen to Santorum’s speaches and read his book, they are filled with anti-women rhetoric. He has made it clear that women should be subservient to men and unfortunetly there are some women who have been taught to believe this. We all need to stand up for women’s rights and stop treating them like second-class citizens. Santorum and other Republicans must be defeated in November in order to continue to expand the rights that women deserve.

“He has made it clear that women should be subservient to men”

I thought Santorum wants husbands to serve their wives and wives to serve their husbands.

I do find it intriguing that the Democrat opponent is perfectly fine with females along with males being killed and thrown out with the trash. In that sense Obamba is truly for equal opportunity.

Henry 5:58 You seem always to overlook that there are no women priests, bishops or popes. You make note of a lot of other things, just not the important ones.

Oh? I thought the priests, bishops, and popes served the people including women. You think the role of priests, bishops, and popes are to be served? Please, let’s correct this error in your thinking. In fact, it may be the stumbling block that drove you away from the Christian faith.

Henry 6:07 I have to say you have mastered orthodoxy. To paraphase, “It is for the good of women they are not allowed to hold positions of high responsibility.” You are correct this ancient and backwards-looking thinking helps many of us leave the faith.

Jon: “this ancient and backwards-looking thinking helps many of us leave the faith.”

Ok. The church body in this flesh world does not meet your expectations of perfection. How did you last so long in the University body?

Henry 8:12 “..The church…does not meet your expectations of perfection.”

I did not say the church needs to be perfect, whatever you mean by that. It’s just that some branches of the Church, Catholic and conservative Protestant, are misguided and out of date in their refusal to allow women access to positions of authority. Further, it gives the impression of current people in positions of authority as being self serving.

“it gives the impression of current people in positions of authority as being self serving.”

Again, at least in a church body, a position of leadership is a serving position.

Henry 8:49 “.at least in a church body, a position of leadership is a serving position.”

The all male church leadership would be surprised to learn women are able to serve in serving positions. But, of course, they are not allowed.

The women are allowed to serve.

Jon: “What’s Next for Women?”

Mac won’t like this at all. Maybe that will help take some of the undeserved heat off the church.