Christianity, A Gentlemen’s Only Club.

It is commonly repeated that the Christian faith contributes to the good of all.  All the downsides are in the past.

Most days, there are articles on conservative sites extolling the virtues of male dominance.  The man of the house is to be the main decision maker and interpret scripture to the rest of the family.

This ancient thinking must surely be the source of some divorces and abuse.  If a child is taught this by his/her father and mother,  we can expect it to prevail.

Let’s imagine a young married man who loses his job and sits at home bummed out.  He starts thinking a new bass boat would cheer him up.  His wife disagrees.  They have an argument.

The husband plays the trump card.  He is the only one in the house authorized to determine what God wants for them.  God wants him to have the boat.

No matter what is said by the church on behalf of women, if only the man is given power to channel God, nothing else matters.

Ground zero of literal interpretation of the Bible is the Bible Belt.  It has a much higher rate of domestic abuse than elsewhere.

While more enlightened parts of the faith can say portions of the Bible proclaiming male dominance should be ignored, it doesn’t stop the damage.  It’s not possible to teach a hundred million people Biblical nuances.

17 Responses to Christianity, A Gentlemen’s Only Club.

“Proclaiming any part of the Bible to be the ultimate truth opens the door to spousal abuse.”

False. Scripture doesn’t say that.

2. Stan says:

The common problem when only one verse is quoted. Later the instructions to the husband. Ephesians 5:25 “For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her.” Does this give the husband the right to abuse his wife for his own satisfaction?

I would say the husband in your scenario is either a poor Christian or not one at all. If he claims to be a Christian he may have a surprise some day.

OK, let’s all decide utimate truth for ourselves. That’s just what we have and our civilization is collapsing.

Michael 2:12 “OK, let’s all decide ultimate truth for ourselves.”
      That’s the point myself and others on here have been making for months. We already do make up the truth ourselves. People sit in the pew, if they like what they hear, they toss money in the plate and they hear it again. If they don’t like it, no money, message changed. I’ve seen this go on for my entire life, so I assume it has been going on since the beginning of time.

“People sit in the pew, if they like what they hear, they toss money in the plate and they hear it again. If they don’t like it, no money, message changed.”

Jon is omnipotent.

Henry 1:35 “Jon is omnipotent.”

Adam Smith called it, “the invisible hand.” It’s not really invisible. Just watch people make market decisions–it happens right before your eyes. An example is the growth of churches with a feel good message. That’s the invisible hand at work.

It’s like my father used to observe when preachers came from rural Northern Minnesota to what as at that time a more prosporous central Iowa. He used to ask with a smile, “Why do the preachers always say ‘God called me here’ when they go from a church with a lower salary to one that is higher?” It’s the invisible hand.

Invisible? You have an exceedingly strong faith, Jon.

As you know Adam Smith taught rhetoric, amongst other things and knew the benefit of metaphor to make something sound more interesting. Your preacher man may say “I was called” and try to pretend he was there because he was needed. There was probably a shortage in rural areas but he just happened to be in a more prosperous are because he was “drawn by an invisible hand” a neat way to avoid saying “I am here for the money”.
            You could even say that “the invisible hand caused” the rural shortage, as a metaphor for unintended consequences (many, but not all of) the preachers were all drawn by the money.

Knowing the “invisible hand” as metaphor, as a rhetorical device, is useful, it tells you that it is invisible because it is not there, no faith required: to have an invisible friend, and thinking it is real, now that requires a faith that truly passes all understanding.

Wanna has said and I agree totally when you read something go back and forth from the quote read the entire chapter, the whole book if you can. Of course, I am as guilty as any one of a breach when it suits mu purpose, so to Stan.
    Ephesians 5:22 – 24
    Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.
    For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
    Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Or perhaps in the old south, the good Christian cotton growers would quote Ephesians 6:5 “Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ”, no wonder there was an effort to convert the heathen to Christianity.

If you want to prove anything at all listen to Mathew and ” … seek and ye shall find … “

• Stan says:

To try to prevent myself from being to wordy I thought that the wives submit to your husband was already covered. My mistake. I want to reiterate that just because someone shows up for church every Sunday it does not make them Christian. I did that for 50 years and I know I didn’t live a Christian life. There are numerous factual incidences of people using the Bible to to provide cover for all sorts of vicious acts but that doesn’t make the people using it in that way Christian.

5. Bob says:

My wife, now an atheist, left christianity when she was in her early twenties and became Wiccan just because of the power Christian men had over women. She’s told me many times the bible repulsed her, and she hated it that according to the bible women were under men. In Wiccanism, there is a goddess equal to the male god and more empowering to women. But after about five years of being a Wiccan though, she decided that was bullshit too and finally became atheist. And married me. Now I’m her god. :) And she mine. :)

6. Avatar of Mac Mac says:

Back in the day when I attended a fundamentalist (!) church, there was considerable conversation surrounding women in leadership roles in the church. There were numerous verses that indicated women were to be silent, submissive and so forth.

Well, as it would be, we all knew the women of the church were the ones who made things happen and it would be a shame to eliminate that resource.

The women agreed. Many of them had learned that in spite of what scripture dictated, happy wife = happy life and their homes accommodated accordingly.

Bible literalists are no more Bible literalists than I am.

They have simply convinced themselves they are in order to ensure their place at Heaven’s head table.

7. Bob says:

Then why bother in the first place Mac?