A Different Bible for Every Believer

We talked yesterday about how the god each person carries in his/her mind is unique, conforming to the kind of god that person needs.  A kindly god or a punitive one, whatever helps.

Something similar is happening in Bibles.  Bible publishers are cranking out new and different versions for different demographics.  There are pink Bibles with appropriate editing for “Girls With Attitude”.  I understand there are Bibles for sports buffs and for mothers with small children.

When one considers we have a hundred TV channels, it only makes sense publishers would see potential in an endless variety of Bibles.

The Bible itself invites such variety.  It’s many stories and passages both endorse and condemn all manner of thinking and behavior.

Lots of opportunities for new understanding of the Bible opened up when some scholars began treating its narrative as literature, rather than history and specific dogma.  Overarching messages are searched for instead of specific passages.

An interesting group working on translations from original languages and providing new insight into the Biblical message is a group Jewish scholars, active in their faith, who specialize in the New Testiment.  Needless to say, their take on the Jesus character is different than that of most Christian scholars.

With a variety of Bibles being published and an army of scholars looking at the many ways of approaching the Bible, the future will be entertaining for fans of discourse in religion.  We’ll be talking about it here, I’m sure.

17 Responses to A Different Bible for Every Believer

I like a couple different versions. KJV for use with Strong’s and Green’s for a deeper study. And NIV for a refreshing read. I have also recently dabbled in the ESV.

Alice in Wonderland would be a good addition to your eclectic library.

Entech, sometimes you have some advice one can honestly consider. This time, I won’t take your recent girly suggestion.

Not too girly, little boys and big boys read it too. Just suggesting a variety of fantasy fiction is good, reading ‘the books” and nothing else can leave you dull and boring remove the blinkers and let (God’s?) sunshine in.

” reading ‘the books” and nothing else can leave you dull and boring “

Not hardly. Sometimes I wish life were a little more “boring”. The pace of life is ever increasing. If I am labeled boring, that might be a desired outcome.

• Brad Campbell says:

Reading your response gives one the same feeling….”dull and bored”…..

Sorry you feel that way, Brad. It appears you need to draw upon external stimulus in order to not feel that way.

How dare they, those Jewish scholars. What would they know about it?

3. Bob says:

There are many Koranic versions also. I don’t think its fair to leave out the Koran and torah, the other two Koran texts other than the hadith and sunna. I like the CPSI version of the Koran because it is written in chronological order, and is not redunadant as the majority korans are. The Koran is purposefully written in non-chronological order, to confuse non-muslim koranic readers.
    But the CPSI version starts from beginning to end with the so called prophet Muhammed’s life, which is what the koran is based on. It is important to know this.

Perhaps my jibe about so many gods in the last post was not so far off. Perhaps it is a different bible for each different God?
    The God of some off the more “Liberal” churches and the God of the “Conservative” churches and certainly the God of the Koran seem like totally different entities.

5. Bob says:

Entech 2:32 Yes, and it seems like all the saints of the catholilcs, and Jesus’s mother Mary and his father Joseph, are god like figures too.

I could make a god out of my laptop. I mean I sit in front of it worship style enough of that time that’s for sure.
    I think Santa makes a nice god. All you have to do is be nice, and you get presents!!!! And if you are naughty, you just don’t get presents. I like that idea persuasion through atraction instead of threats of ever lasting fire and pain.
    And Santa is just so cute. And he looks like he might drink beer.

6. Bob says:

HO, HO, HO, HO!

7. Santa says:

Entech: thanks for your response to my question in the previous post. i appreciate it!

8. Bob says:

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods, from the original Greek meaning of “without gods.” That is it. There is nothing more to it. If someone wrote a book titled “Atheism Defined,” it would only be one sentence long.