Grow the Church: Drop the Anti Gay Marriage

The site, Christian Post.com, has articles most days on the falling number of young people identifying themselves as “Christian”.  Lot’s of ideas are tossed out there.  Mostly, the articles just say that the Church should shout it’s message louder.  Then young people would get it.

I think the major problem for the Christian faith is opposition to gay marriage. Now, I realize that only a portion of Christian churches oppose marriage of gays and some major denominations slowly are accepting it.  That being the case, one could argue that these liberal denominations should be growing rapidly among the young.  They are not.

The reason they are not, I believe, is that the news media focus’ on the Pope and the conservative parts of Protestantism. In this era of fast moving news, lots of news and short attention spans, many young people have no interest in splitting hairs among the branches of the Christain faith.

Their attention span is only long enough to absorb this message:   Christians are against gay marriage.  Christians are against gays.

This anti gay message seals the deal.  They are gone before the liberal branch of Christianity has a chance to get its foot in the door.

We all know that conservative Christians have tried to parse their position on gay marriage by saying they are not against gays, just gays being married to each other.  It will not work.

If “separate but equal” did not work in the segregation era, neither will “I have nothing against gays, it’s just that God says they can’t marry,” work today.

20 Responses to Grow the Church: Drop the Anti Gay Marriage

1. Avatar of antipalin says:

I don’t believe in organized religion but I consider myself a christian. I am against gay marriage and gays in general.

Antipalin–I’m not saying you, or anyone else, cannot hold their own views on anything or anyone. I’m just saying that for the institutions of religion, the churches, who need members to meet their payrolls, there are consequences.

Antipalin, someone recently posted this on a comment page, and with his permission I posted it on my blog. The wording is absolute perfection:

Why should you even get an opinion? You aren’t in a position that you need to acknowledge them or not acknowledge them.

Do you think your opinion on gay marriage and relationships should dictate some sort of policy of oppression to satisfy YOU? If you aren’t in a gay relationship, why are you seeking to not “accept” other people’s (relationships)?

The world will go on without your say-so.

“I am against gay marriage and gays in general.”

Big deal. Keep that to yourself. It isn’t up to you to be for or against it anyway. It isn’t even your business to have a public stance on it.
      Once you start acting on your unacceptance, you’re committing a crime.

2. I find organized religion to be hipocritical. They preach from the Bible but change it as they see fit? I am not aware of any Bible that supports gay unions yet some religions allow it? Who has the authority to re-write the Bible? I’m no ‘Bible thumper’ but even I know homosexuality is against God. How can gays be good christians?

• misty johnson says:

Really Norm?…..just How do you Know homosexuality is against God?
      And just how would You Define a Good Christian?
      I can define a Good Christian in a Heartbeat…..and it has NOTHING to do with Sexual Orientation.

• misty johnson says:

Let me give you a hint Norm…..It has a Lot to do with how Pure your Heart and Thoughts are…..AND the Golden Rule….among Other Things…..none of which are sexual.

Norm!
      You’re correct in that there’s not a clear interpretation anywhere in the Bible that supports gay marriage. Actually, the Bible’s overwhelming perspective on marriage supports polygamy, and condemns divorce.
      Who are you to know the mind of God?

• Quote”
        The reason they are not, I believe, is that the news media focus’ on the Pope and the conservative parts of Protestantism. In this era of fast moving news, lots of news and short attention spans, many young people have no interest in splitting hairs among the branches of the Christain faith.Unquote.

I feel that one reason that young people might not be joining “mainline” religious denomininations is… other than the obvious relentless denegration of all things “religious” in the media and culture….Maybe the young people are just shying away from “mainline” denominations becoming more contemporary and secular…example being the recent controversy in the ELCA synod Lutheran churches, concerning homosexual clergy.
        Why join something that doesn’t stand for something, and changes its doctrine to be “popular”

Arnold–Polls all show this: Young people are far more accepting of gays than older people.

Thus, it seems impossible that young people are not joining the churches of the ELCA because it is now accepting of gay pastors. It seems obvious, instead, that ELCA lost young people because it waited several years before it got around to doing the right thing. Why join a church when it has policies that are contrary to what you believe is “Christian”?

• Jon Lindgren says:

Jon,
            I gotta profess I never got too many gold stars for regular church attendance…but when I was there..I was listening and learning.
            I never heard that we were supposed to take polls, stick our fingers in the wind to see which way the winds of popularity were blowing to see which tenents of Christianity we were gonna choose to believe,and try to live by.
            What might be “popular” or “trendy” to one generation might not be that way to another generation.
            Beinging that we are talking about our eternal souls here..I’d guess that means a LONG TIME.
            Eternal damnation sounds like a LONG TIME to me, too.
            I think I’m gonna stick with a traditional/biblical view of looking at things like homosexuality…you do what you think best.
            As far as the kids today not joining the ELCA because they were “late to the game” in embracing homosexual clergy…is grasping at straws to rationalize a chosen lifestyle.
            Kids/young adults aren’t joining the ELCA in any different numbers than they are joining any other “mainstream” religion.
            Arnold

Arnold, excellent point. The kids of today are definitely wary of any political party or religion. I believe that the vast majority have been schooled correctly at home and the time is ripe for a new and very “conservative” party of young people. Basically, a huge group of kids that were raised with correct values and don’t want to be attached to the political “wh#r#s” of late (on both sides.) I think they want the REAL THING and nothing less. I have seen this in the towns that I have lived in. There is a very large resurgence of common-sense Conservatives arising.

skibum–About, “…a huge group of kids that were raised with correct values…”, is it your impression they opposed gays and gay marriage? Polls show young people are much more accepting than the older generation. Maybe you have better information than what I have read.

Well, according to the New Testament divorce is “against God” as well. Usually that applies to heterosexuals but, oh wait, nobody much follows it. Many Christians pick and chose the parts of the Bible they know and the parts they follow as law. I’m not saying you do, but it is something to think about.

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grow the Church: Drop the Anti Gay Marriage | Red River Freethinkers -- Topsy.com

4. Avatar of skibum says:

Oh, and Mac, regarding the “mind of God”, all you have to do is read the Bible. HE has some very pointed notions regarding his beliefs.

5. Basically I agree with most commenters on this blog. I am regular visitor though I am not such a good commenter on blogs. But because of what you have written here about Grow the Church: Drop the Anti Gay Marriage | Red River Freethinkers is good and has compelled me to write to thank you for this good info.